If you have been to Belgium, you would be lucky if you left without adding at least 10 lbs of weight.
First off, the national dish of Belgium, Moules-Frites, contains french fries, which are said to have originated in Belgium. While Belgian cuisine has some distinct and healthy varieties, if you were to spend a week eating the culturally normalized food you would live off a diet of 5 primary foods:
- French fries. Invented in Belgium. Trust me, you wont escape.
- Fried meats such as hot dogs and sausages. Their hot dogs and meats are not just served grilled, they are almost always fried, and celebrated. Most savory foods are served with andalouse sauce, which is mayonnaise, tomato paste, and peppers. Fast food cafes are everywhere.
- Waffles. Belgian waffles. Thick, to-go, delicious. These are often found with powdered sugar or dipped in chocolate, however the traditional waffle is served straight-up.
- Chocolate. Belgian chocolate. Neuhaus and Godiva are based here.
- BEER. Best beer in the world. Estaminets are the world for small local beer cafes, where drinking is celebrated with the upmost respect and rigor.